Shewmake, Jake and Jason Lambert. “The Real (Time) World: Synchronous Communications in the Online Writing Center.” Taking Flight With OWLs: Examining Electronic Writing Center Work. Eds. James A. Inman and Donna N. Sewell. London: Lawrence Erlbaum Ass., Inc., 2000. 161-170.
These writers conducted research on synchronous online tutoring and found that these sessions were effective in that some students found them less intimidating than f2f tutorials; they encouraged clear, crisp communication; and students were more focused and tended to remain on task. This article is research-based. In contrast to much of the literature that explores the impact of OWLs from the perspective of writing center personnel, this article examines the issue from the point of view of the student.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am in favour of anything which helps to demystify the process of writing for students, but at some point students should be encouraged to have face-to-face interaction with tutors.
ReplyDeleteI wonder how they judged students remained on task and stayed focus? Unless student is not goal oriented/mature enough, f2f is needed for students to stay on track. Then without human contact student may develop sense of isolation - f2f eventually needed to validate self and work.
ReplyDeleteThe thrust of the research is clear. I am wondering about Shewmake and Lambert's findings, though. Does more recent research suggest that students communicate more clearly and spend more time on task online? I ask because much of the research I found on student's use of CMC technology, though not specifically for peer review purposes, suggested that communication is often not clear or crisp, especially since online forums are open to people with varying levels of language proficiency and some who are not even native speakers of English. Are they talking only about university students already equipped with communication skills traditionally expected of one at tertiary level?
ReplyDeleteKelvin,
ReplyDeleteI think these researchers are examining students who possess language proficieny that would be expected of university students who are native speakers of English. There is research that suggests that ESL students may experience more difficulty communicating online for the possibilities for misunderstanding are greater for non-native speakers. However, I opted not to focus on ESL students and the peculiar difficulties they may experience in the online tutorial. Instead, I am examining the effects of the online tutorial as it relates to students who are native speakers of English.